Our life has been pretty crazy over the past year and it is about to get a little crazier. I’m really excited about all of the changes but I have to admit I am completely exhausted both mentally and physically. After riding the wave of adrenalin for months I’m ready for some quiet hibernation time this winter once we get through the early crazy baby stuff and things begin to settle into their new rhythm.
The holiday season always makes me nostalgic and gets me thinking about the new year. Even though it will be months before it’s time to talk about New Year’s Resolutions I think I may have mine narrowed down and mapped out early. One resolution I go for every year is to carve out more personal time without pushing people out of my life. It’s a balancing act. It’s so important to keep strong and true friends and family close but it’s equally important to me to have time to reflect and occasionally take in life as a spectator.
In the past I have looked at what I wanted to change in my life but I think this year has had enough change. Right now my focus is less on movement and change and more on learning to just be still and be happy. This year my motto is Just Be and Be Happy. My goal … learn to love who I am and where I am right now.
So aside from working hard to be the best mother I am capable of being I think I’m going to try to incorporate some stuff to promote a little more peace and balance in our lives.
1. Date night in
I think I’m going to have to work a little harder to carve time out for me and my man! Dave and I have pretty different work schedules. He is usually working weekends and off here and there during the week while I have Saturdays and Sundays off so it’s going to be really important that we set aside a little time together and make that time count.
2. Snuggle time
I very rarely sleep past 7 am on a Saturday and during the week I’m up between 5:00 and 5:30. Sometimes I have to be up that early and sometimes my internal alarm clock goes off. I don’t mind waking up early but this year I think I’m going to try to stay in bed a little more often. Instead of jumping up with a million things on my To Do List I’m going dawdle. Yep my goal this year is to familiarize myself with dawdling a little before I start my day. Dave and baby Baker are welcome to join me but I’m staying in bed for at least 15 minutes after I wake up to make sure I have sufficiently absorb the benefits of dawdling (Unless a dirty diaper is involved)
If it’s comfortable I’m going to grab it and roll in it and breathe it in. Ok maybe not literally roll in it but I’m going to take notice of it and soak in the warm fuzzy it brings. I already know what some of those things are but I’m going to discover new ones!
- Thick socks
- Chai latte
- Piles of fluffy pillows
- Apple Cider
- Laughing until I cry
- Dave’s coat/robe of many colors
- Kissing baby feet
- Singing in the shower
- Frank’s hot sauce
- Sampling World Markets Tea/coffee in their itty bitty cups!
- Thrift Store shopping (ie Popping some tags!)
4. Be Joyful
I know we are going to be tired this year. We are probably going to get as cranky and fussy as the baby. I also know “When Mama Ain’t Happy, Ain’t Nobody Happy”. True story. So there is a lot of pressure for me to keep on the sunny side. Now I know right now that is not always going to happen but it will happen more often if I make it a personal goal. So I’m going to try to do the following:
- Pick my poison for the day – Pick my quote, Bible verse, or maybe a song for the day and stick with it come hell or high water. In the words of the late great Peter Pan my daily question to myself will be “What’s your happy thought?”.
- Breathe. I’m just going to take a minute to step back and examine crazy. Crazy is going to happen but how I respond to it may make a difference between 15 minutes of crazy and 3 hours of crazy.
- Look past the moment and focus on getting to the other side. Sometimes you just got to survive. That is all.
- Perfect imperfection. This does not mean make everything perfect! I mean enjoy the humor in stuff that just isn’t going to happen the way I envisioned it. This will probably be pretty much all of my ideas about parenting so I want to prepare myself ahead of time!
So here’s to not changing anything that isn’t screaming at me to be changed! Happy Friday Friends!